The Alternate Master Grower is a critical position that provides assistance and leadership aimed at helping the company achieve its organizational objectives. The Alternate Master Grower, plans and oversees the planting, cultivating, and harvesting of all cannabis plants, indoor and outdoor at our Aleafia Grimsby campus. The position manages and leads staff of growers and lead growers engaged in the growing, care, and maintenance of cannabis plants. The Alternate Master Grower will apply strict Horticultural practices to maintain and improve plant health, cannabinoids, and yield of the crop and reports to the Master Grower.
- Discusses plant growing activities with management personnel to plan for growing activities that are consistent with planned production schedules.
- Monitors growing conditions and oversees changes in humidity, moisture and temperature and cultivation procedures to ensure conformance with quality control standards.
- Monitors plant development to ascertain conditions such as leaf texture, bloom size and the existence of pests or disease; removing substandard or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
- Determines rates of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides as required by the crop and applies and/or directs the application of them.
- Develops growing procedures for new strains in product line and new cultivation techniques.
- Maintains inventory of growing supplies such as fertilizers, pesticides, and fungicides.
- Maintains records of growing techniques and production; reviews records and reports to identify trends and to forecast future space and production needs.
- Plans for and requests staff on a timely basis to ensure their availability during the high-volume growing seasons and schedule overtime as necessary.
- Schedules staff and assigns work; maintains personnel records and provides input into performance evaluations.
- Trains employees in growing techniques and activities.
- Maintains a current knowledge of growing techniques and technologies.
- Maintains an awareness of new state of the art equipment and provides input into equipment and facilities upgrades and replacement.
- Provides pesticide and safety training to all employees and maintenance of records as required by the company’s Standard Operating Procedure and the Cannabis Act.
- Assists the Master Grower with other duties as assigned.
Experience / Education
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field preferred
- 3 years experience in a team lead/supervisory or Manager role
- 3 years of experience in the food manufacturing or pharmaceutical industry
- Cannabis or greenhouse industry experience would be considered an asset
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to pass criminal background check is required
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the Cannabis Act and other cannabis regulations is an asset
- Experience with an organization regulated by HACCP Canada or experience in a similarly regulated environment (GMP, GAP, GPP)
- Ability to operate various types of equipment
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to create logically ordered objectives
- Ability to stay informed and up to date with changes in technology, code and workplace compliance
- Excellent manual dexterity
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to effectively manage employees
- Well-developed problem-solving skills and ability to develop conceptual alternatives
- Able to find new methods and principles and ability to incorporate them into existing production practices as needed
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, and adaptability
- Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc.
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Excellent basic mathematical skills
- Ability to motivate and attain positive results from employees and teams is a must
- Proven leadership, decision-making, problem solving, and performance management skills are required
- Must posses advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills within a team environment are essential to this position
- Must have own transportation as we are not on a public transportation route
- This position requires a minimum of 40-hour work-week.
- Willingness to work weekends as needed.
Note: The chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete reference checks and a criminal background check.
We appreciate the interest by all candidates however we will be contacting those that best fit the requirements. If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. Aleafia Health will work with you in an effort to ensure that you are able to fully participate in the process.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.